A comprehensive blog featuring Tanya Veit and her fused glass art techniques, workshops and classes. AAE Glass has unique glass fusing products and ideas that will take your glass art to the next level.
1. Clean the glass surface where the decal will go.
2. Remove any wax paper barrier, if any, from the decal surface.
3. If desired, cut decal to desired shape using xacto knife or scissors.
4. Soak the decal in a shallow pan of warm water until they easily slide off the paper. It is easier to apply decal directly from the paper to the glass piece. Leaving them in water too long will result in them floating off the base paper and it will be difficult to apply.
5. Use a paper towel to blot excess water and gently smooth out any wrinkles or air bubbles. If air bubbles are not gently rubbed out, a tiny hole will pop through the decal when fired.
6. Change water frequently after soaking several decals to remove impurities.
7. ALL MOISTURE MUST BE REMOVED PRIOR TO FIRING. OVERNIGHT DRYING IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
8. Decals go on your FINISHED, fire polished piece. DO NOT cap the decals with a top glass layer. Decal firing is the last step to your piece.
Preheating is particularly important in decal work. Materials from the medium on the decal must be burned off gently. Good ventilation allow for a clean final product. Leave the kiln lid open 1-2 inches, plus any peepholes. Preheat slowly to 1000 degrees to prevent pinholes or blisters and then procede with normal ramping. Heat-soak the decals at top temperature for approximately 8-10 minutes. THE FIRING SCHEDULES PROVIDED ARE FOR A REFERENCE POINT ONLY! GET TO KNOW YOUR KILN AND TAKE NOTES!
Need additional assistance? Email us at email@example.com with any questions you may have. Remember, it is always better to under fire than over fire!